Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blah blah blah

I've found that the more effort I make to cook healthy, the more ideas I get to create healthier meals.

For instance, my favourite, the veggie ribbon spaghetti trick. Peeling the veggies, as thin or thick as you want, and adding very thinly sliced cabbage into the mix, heat it up slightly in the wok so the veggies are to your liking, and bam! Bolognese sauce on top and there's a perfect meal right there.

I was doing a bit of thinking the other day and I realised that a lot of the general public whinge about how expensive it is to eat healthy.

What a crock of shit. Go to a fresh fruit and veg market, and the amount of money you save is unbelieveable.

Just the other day, Jayden and I went to our local fresh food mart and we picked up a full cauliflower head that was so large it would only just fit into a supermarket bag (1 dollar) a half cabbage for a dollar, 2 big lettuce heads for 1.50, a bag of tomatoes as big as 2 cricket balls for 3.50, enough cucumbers to last 3 months for 5 bucks....

The possibilities are endless. If you add all that up, which comes to around 12 bucks....I hardly call that a big deal. Seeing 2 maccas meals would probably cost just under that. Yet I have enough veggies to last me a week. At least.


Same with meat. Go to one of those meat markets. I got 2 kilos of full porterhouse steaks for under 20 bucks. Silverside? 5.99 a kilo. 1kg of full scotch fillet? 12 bucks.

And a lot of this stuff can be frozen too. Of course you have to add in your condiments and stuff (which can also be bought cheaply at these markets) and voila!

It annoys me when I see people whinging about how hard it is to eat well these days.

It's like, get off your fat backside, drive a few minutes extra down the road to a fruit and veg market (if you have one) and get it fresh, much bigger and cheaper!

I know it's usually more the effort of preparing the healthy food but really, even then, where's the effot in cutting some lettuce? Cutting up some strawberries for a snack?

God I'm full of hate today.

I guess I just realised that the old me would never have considered the alternatives. Not because of the whole financial thing. I can afford to eat shit or well. It was just that I couldn't be bothered to eat well when I could eat badly, and almost immediately.

When you get to a point that you seek out other alternatives than Coles lettuce and tiny tomatoes....you know you've made a big lifestyle change.

I always thought it was old people who shopped at fresh fruit stops to score a bargain because they were old. It's not that at all. It's the fact you get such better produce at these places!

And that is my pharmaceutically-induced rant, over!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great rant...I totally agree with you. I was that person as well not too long ago. It is easier and you feel better after eating a healthy meal. I always used to get the runs after eating Maccas or KFC, but I would eat it week after week!